Sunday, March 30, 2008

Help! I'm procrastinating

What I do when I don't want to write:
  • Do the dishes
  • Play fetch with the dog
  • Research carpal tunnel syndrome (which I'm getting from all this typing)
  • Research the Kennedy assassination (subject of current novel project)
  • Play Scrabble
  • Reheat coffee
  • Read Entertainment Weekly
  • Bite cuticles
  • Nap
  • Watch Youtube videos of great drummers
  • Research Hollywood celebrities to play the movie roles of my novel
I have time to write. I schedule it each day. I have the will to write. Sitting down each morning, I am ready, fingers poised to pour out the brain's inspiration. And some days, the brain rebels. My dog won't come inside when I call him; the brain won't form a sentence, or when it does, the sentence blows. DELETE. Try again.

Not sure what that's about. I know this, though. The Internet is the enemy. Some mornings, I have to get belligerent. This involves a trip to Barnes & Noble where the Internet costs money, where I have to sit down and write (or browse the new fiction--I REALLY am my worst enemy).

The things we tell ourselves, the acrobatics we go through....

No comments: